Do you ever feel uninspired? Boring? Or just feel like you have absolutely nothing to offer?
You're not alone. I think we've all felt this way at one point or the other.
The more you feel this way, the less creative you feel. But, how do you stop these thoughts?
Take some time for self-reflection.
Are you feeling stressed or too busy? Or have you gotten bogged down in mundane day-to-day happenings?
Both scenarios can leave you feeling uninspired.
Maybe you just need to get through a busy time in your life and that's okay. But, if you're ready to kick-start your creativity, I've got a few suggestions.
1. Make a list. Make a list of the projects you want to try, recipes you want to cook, photographs you want to take or places you want to travel. Get the ideas flowing. Then keep that list and whenever you're feeling uninspired, pull it out, do something on the list, or keep adding to it.
2. Read a book. Fiction, biography, self-help... it really doesn't matter. Get lost in someone else's thoughts. Clear you mind and just enjoy yourself for awhile.
3. Daydream. Run a bubble bath or lie on the couch. Shut your eyes and focus on a project you want to do or a place you want to travel to. The skies the limit! I sometimes come up with the best ideas while daydreaming.
4. Talk to a friend. Do you have a trusted friend you can vent to? Do it! Bounce ideas off of her. Complain if you need to. Try letting go of anything that's been bothering you.
5. Start a journal. It can be a pretty blank book or a virtual spot on the internet. Just start writing and soon the ideas will come to you.
But wait a minute! I've got the ideas, but I still don't feel original! I'm sure someone else has already done that. Surely I'm not the first person to come up with that brilliant idea.
And you know what... you probably aren't the first person. And that's the idea you have to let go of. Does it really matter if someone else has done it? You can't let that idea hold you back.
"Originality is simply a pair of fresh eyes."
- Thomas W. Higginson
“Originality does not consist in saying what no one has ever said before,
but in saying exactly what you think yourself.”
- James Stephens
You are what make you original. Your ideas, talents, feelings, memories, thoughts, and fears all combine together to make you a unique person.
So go ahead, let go of the fear of being unoriginal, and just be yourself. Grab that list of projects and start creating. Don't worry that everyone else is doing it. Do it for yourself...
... and that will make it original!