This month's virtual trip in Around the World in 12 Dishes was to Russia.
For our food dish, we decided to make potato pancakes and eat them for a fun Russian-themed lunch.
I needed help to find Russian food to cook, so I turned to a new blog discovery, Natasha's Kitchen. Natasha has an entire category devoted to Russian/Ukrainian food. When I saw her recipe for Easy Potato Pancakes, I knew the girls would enjoy cooking them and eating them.
First things first, we had to mash some potatoes.
Potatoes are a very popular food choice in Russia; they're also a very popular food choice in our household. It was the perfect choice.
So, mash, mash, mash we went. The girls took turns until the potatoes were very thoroughly mashed. I kept the mashed potatoes on the stiff side since they were going to be made into pancakes.
Next it was time for the mixing.
I followed Natasha's recipe exactly, only omitting the onions to ensure the girls would actually try these.
We mixed, formed them into pancaked and dredged them in flour.
Finally it was time for Mom to take over. The girls watched from a safe distance while I fried them up.
We added a spoonful of sour cream on the side for dipping and paired them with some sliced apples for a light lunch. I chose the apples because I noticed they were quite prevalent in many Russian dessert recipes. All in all it was quite the yummy lunch!
Do you want to play along? Join Adventures In Mommydom, Creative Family Fun, Glittering Muffins, Juggling with Kids, Kitchen Counter Chronicles, Make, Do & Friends, Mom 2 Posh Little Divas, Mummymummymum, Rainy Day Mum, Red Ted Art, The Educators' Spin On It and The Outlaw Mom on this food journey around the world. Then go out there, cook, blog, and join in the linky fun! Check out the other great posts as well!
- March 4 - First country was the UK
- April 1 - The second country was Sweden
- May 6 - The third country is Russia
How to join the fun! (Thank you Glittering Muffins for compiling all of this information.)
- Cook a dish from Russia: The goal is to explore this country through FOOD and activities if you wish. Make a typical dish (sweet or savoury) from the country with the kids, take photos and have fun!
- Typical dishes: Solyanka, Borscht, Shchi, Pelmeni and Pirozhki.
- Print your passport: Click here to download, comes with space for a photo of the child with the dish. Here is a little cover for it if you wish :)
- Color a placemat: Once colored/painted or whatever other way you want to do this, you can laminate it or put it between clear contact paper to use it over and over. Great conversation piece for you and your kids. Click here to download it.
- Make a craft: you can make a country related craft with the kids [optional!]
- Read a book: We recommend "The Littlest Matryoshka" by Corinne Demas Bliss
- Fun fact: Every day over 9 MILLION passengers ride the Metro, Moscow's vast underground subway system. In a single day, an average of 9915 trains operate between 5am - 1am, making the New York subway system seem like a miniature child's toy.
- Share with us: Our Russia challenge starts on May 6th and will remain open for a year, so attach a link to your blog to enter the linky party or go to the comment section and post a photo together with what you did together with your child(ren).
- Pinterest: We will add your photos to a "Around the World in 12 Dishes" Pinterest Boards (one for the dishes, one for the crafts) you will be a great source of inspiration for everyone :)
- Are you a blogger? Let your fans know about the challenge and grab our button to share it on your blog.
If you do this, we’d LOVE to see a photo of it. Email it to us or post it on our Facebook page. We’d love to do a Facebook album, a Pinterest board and a page of your creations :)
Please link up your Russian dish and/or craft in our linky below, we would love to see it!